· Bio-remediation, Phytoremediation of organic and inorganic pollutants (Heavy metals, Petroleum products, PCBs, Dyes, Pesticides).
· Nano-Bioremediation of pollutants
· Environmental microbiology and molecular biology
· Soil Microbiology, Soil science
· Biochar, Compost amendments for pollutant removal
· Microbial / rhizosphere ecology, Plant growth promoting rhizobacteria
· Metagenomics analysis of microorganisms
1. Mushtaq MU, Iqbal A, Nawaz I, Mirza CR, Yousaf S, Farooq G, Ali MA, Aqib Khan AHA, Iqbal M. (2020). Enhanced uptake of Cd, Cr, and Cu in Catharanthus roseus (L.) G.Don by Bacillus cereus: application of moss and compost to reduce metal availability. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. (IF = 2.914) doi:10.1007/s11356-020-08839-5.
2. Khan AHA, Nawaz I, Qu Z, Butt TA, Yousaf S, Iqbal M*. (2020). Reduced growth response of ornamental plant Nicotiana alata L. upon selected heavy metals uptake, with co-application of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. Chemosphere. 241: 125006 (IF = 5.108)
3. Khan AHA, Kiyani A, Cheema AS, Tareen U, Nawaz I, Iqbal M, Yousaf S. (2020). Integrative application of commercial soil conditioners and bio-augmentation for enhanced heavy metals stabilization from wastewater and improved growth of Nicotiana alata L. and Petunia hydrida L. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, doi.org/10.1007/s00344-020-10094-4 [IF = 2.179]
4. Ayesha Hayat, Imran Hussain, Gerhard Soja, Mazhar Iqbal, Naeem Shahid, Jabir Hussain Syed, Sohail Yousaf. Organic and chemical amendments positively modulate the bacterial proliferation for effective rhizoremediation of PCBs-contaminated soil. Ecological Engineering 138 (2019) 412–419. (2019) [IF: 3.406]
5. Raza A, Khan AHA, Nawaz I, Qu Z, Yousaf S, Ali MA, Sayal AU, Iqbal M*. (2019). Evaluation of Arsenic-induced stress in Dahlia pinnata Cav.: Morphological and physiological response. Soil and Sediment Contamination: An International Journal. 28: 716-728 (IF = 0.992)
6. Ameena Iqbal, Muhammad Umair Mushtaq, Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Ismat Nawaz, Sohail Yousaf, Zeshan, Mazhar Iqbal. Influence of Pseudomonas japonica and organic amendments on the growth and metal tolerance of Celosia argentea L. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. (2019) (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-019-06181-z) [IF: 2.914]
7. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Ismat Nawaz, Sohail Yousaf, Ammar Sabir Cheema, Mazhar Iqbal. Soil amendments enhanced the growth of Nicotiana alata L. and Petunia hydrida L. by stabilizing heavy metals from wastewater. Journal of Environmental Management (England) 242: 46–55. (2019) [IF: 4.005]
8. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Tayyab Ashfaq Butt, Cyrus Raza Mirza, Sohail Yousaf, Ismat Nawaz, Mazhar Iqbal. Combined application of selected heavy metals and EDTA reduced the growth of Petunia hybrida L. Scientific Reports (London, England) (2019) 9:4138. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-40540-7. (2019) [IF: 4.122]
9. Zeeshan Ali, Ismat Nawaz, Sohail Yousaf, Syed Tatheer Alam Naqvi, Tariq Mahmood, Nadeem Khan, Mazhar Iqbal. Wheat straw biochar promotes the growth and reduces the uptake of lead, cadmium and copper in Allium cepa L. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology (Pakistan) 21: 1173‒1180. (2019) [IF = 0.869]
10. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Muhammad Ayaz, Maryem Arshad, Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Abeer Khan, Mariam Anees, Aneesa Sultan, Ismat Nawaz, Mazhar Iqbal. Biogeochemical cycle, occurrence and biological treatments of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transaction A-Science (Switzerland) 43:1393‒1410. (2019) [IF: 0.757]
11. Fida Hussain, Imran Hussain, Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Yousaf Shad Muhammad, Mazhar Iqbal, Gerhard Soja, Thomas Gerhard Reichenauer, Zeshan, Sohail Yousaf*. Combined application of biochar, compost, and bacterial consortia with Italian ryegrass enhanced phytoremediation of petroleum hydrocarbon contaminated soil. Environmental and Experimental Botany (Oxford, England) 153 (2018) 80–88. (2018) [IF: 3.666]
12. Imran Hussain, Markus Puschenreiter, Soja Gerhard, Philipp Schöftner, Sohail Yousaf, Aijie Wang, Jabir Hussain Syed, Thomas G. Reichenauer. Rhizoremediation of petroleum hydrocarbon-contaminated soils: Improvement opportunities and field applications. Environmental and Experimental Botany (Oxford, England) 147 (2018) 202–219. (2018) [IF: 3.666]
13. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Sundus Tanveer, Shagufta Alia, Mariam Anees, Aneesa Sultan, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf*. Role of nutrients in bacterial biosurfactant production and effect of biosurfactant production on petroleum hydrocarbon biodegradation. Ecological Engineering (Netherlands) 104:158–164. (2017) [IF: 3.023]
14. Maryem Arshad, Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Imran Hussain, Badar-uz-Zaman, Mariam Anees, Mazhar Iqbal, Gerhard Soja, Sohail Yousaf*. The reduction of chromium (VI) phytotoxicity and phytoavailability to wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) using biochar and bacteria. Applied Soil Ecology (Netherlands) 114:90–98. (2017) [IF: 2.916]
15. Andrea Campisano, Davide Albanese, Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher, Claudio Donati, Ilaria Pertot. Temperature drives the assembly of endophytic communities’ seasonal succession. Environmental Microbiology (USA) (2017) 19:3353–3364. (2017)
16. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Sundus Tanveer, Mariam Anees, Yousaf Shad Muhammad, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf*. Role of nutrients and illuminance in predicting the fate of fungal mediated petroleum hydrocarbon degradation and biomass production. Journal of Environmental Management (England) 176:54–60. (2016) [IF: 4.005]
17. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Mariam Anees, Muhammad Arshad, Yousaf Shad Muhammad, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf*. Effects of illuminance and nutrients on bacterial photo-physiology of hydrocarbon degradation. Science of the Total Environment (Netherlands) 557-558:705–711. (2016) [IF: 4.610]
18. Andrea Campisano, Michael Pancher, Gerardo Puopolo, Antonio Puddu, Sebastiàn Lòpez-Fernàndez, Barbara Biagini, Sohail Yousaf, Ilaria Pertot. Diversity in endophytic populations reveals functional and taxonomic diversity between wild and domesticated grapevines. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture (USA) 66 (1):12–21. (2015) [IF: 1.765]
19. Maliha Jabeen, Zeshan, Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Rizwan Haider, Riffat Naseem Malik. High-solids anaerobic co-digestion of food waste and rice husk at different organic loading rates. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation (Oxford, England) 102 (2015) 149–153. (2015) [IF: 3.562]
20. Muhammad Rizwan Haider, Zeshan, Sohail Yousaf, Riffat Naseem Mlaik, Chettiyappan Visvanathan. Effect of mixing ratio of food waste and rice husk co-digestion and substrate to inoculum ratio on biogas production. Bioresource Technology (Oxford, England) 190(2015) 451–457. (2015) [IF: 5.807]
21. Iftkhar Ahmed, Muhammad Sajed, Aneesa Sultan, Iram Murtaza, Sohail Yousaf, Bushra Maqsood, Petr Vanhara, Mariam Anees. The erratic antibiotic susceptibility patterns of bacterial pathogens causing urinary tract infections. EXCLI Journal (Germany) 4(14):916–925. (2015) [IF: 2.424]
22. Mariam Anees, Riffat Ayesha Anis, Sohail Yousaf, Iram Murtaza, Aneesa Sultan, Muhammad Arslan, Muhammad Shahab. Effect of maternal iodine supplementation on thyroid function and birth outcome in goiter endemic areas. Current Medical Research and Opinion (United Kingdom) 31(4):667–674. (2015) [IF: 2.757]
23. Sohail Yousaf*, Daniela Bulgari, Alessandro Bergna, Michael Pancher, Fabio Quaglino, Paola Casati, Andrea Campisano. Pyrosequencing detects animal-pathogenic taxa in the grapevine endosphere. Frontiers in Microbiology (Switzerland) 2014; 5: 327. 1–9. (2014) [IF:4.019]
24. Andrea Campisano, Livio Antonielli, Michael Pancher, Sohail Yousaf, Massimo Pindo, Ilaria Pertot. Bacterial endophytic communities in the grapevine depend on pest management. Plos One (USA) 9 (11): e112763. (2014) [IF: 2.766]
25. Andrea Campisano, Lino Ometto, Stephane Compant, Michael Pancher, Livio Antonielli, Sohail Yousaf, Claudio Varotto, Gianfranco Anfora, Ilaria Pertot, Angela Sessitsch, Omar Rota-Stabelli. Interkingdom transfer of the acne-causing agent, Propionibacterium acnes, from human to grapevine. Molecular Biology and Evolution (Oxford, England) 31(5):1059–65. (2014) [IF: 10.217]
26. Muhammad Naveed, Birgit Mitter, Sohail Yousaf, Milica Pastar, Muhammad Afzal, Angela Sessitsch. The endophyte Enterobacter sp. FD17: A powerful maize enhancer selected based on rigorous testing of plant beneficial traits and colonization characteristics. Biology and Fertility of Soils (Germany) 50 (2), 249–262. (2014) [IF: 3.808]
27. Michael Pancher, Marco Ceol, Paola Elisa Corneo, Claudia Maria Oliveira Longa, Sohail Yousaf, Ilaria Pertot, Andrea Campisano. Fungal endophytic communities in grapevines (Vitis vinifera L.) respond to crop management. Applied and Environmental Microbiology (USA) 78 (12): 4308–17. (2012) [IF = 3.633]
28. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Angela Sessitsch. The inoculation method affects colonization and performance of bacterial inoculant strains in the phytoremediation of soil contaminated with diesel oil. International Journal of Phytoremediation (USA) 14: 35–47. (2012) [IF= 1.886]
29. Sohail Yousaf*, Muhammad Afzal, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Angela Sessitsch. Hydrocarbon degradation, plant colonization and gene expression of alkane degradation genes by endophytic Enterobacter ludwigii strains. Environmental Pollution (Oxford, England) 159: 2675–2683. (2011) [IF = 4.358]
30. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Melanie Kuffner, Angela Sessitsch. Soil type affects plant colonization, activity and catabolic gene expression of inoculated bacterial strains during phytoremediation of diesel. Journal of Hazardous Materials (Netharlands) 186
31. Sohail Yousaf*, Katrin Ripka, Thomas. G. Reichenauer, Verania. Andria, Muhammad Afzal, Angela Sessitsch. Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil. Journal of Applied Microbiology (USA) 109
32. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Kornelia Smalla, Angela Sessitsch. Phylogenetic and functional diversity of alkane degrading bacteria associated with italian ryegrass
33. Waseem Raza, Sohail Yousaf, Abid Niaz, M. Khalid Rasheed, Iqbal Hussain. Subsoil compaction effects on soil properties, nutrient uptake and yield of maize fodder Zea mays L.). Pakistan Journal of Botany (Pakistan) 37
34. Waseem Raza, Muhammad Javed Akhtar, Muhammad Arshad, Sohail Yousaf. Growth, nodulation and yield of mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) as influenced by coinoculation with Rhizobium and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences (Pakistan) 41(3-4): 125–130. (2004) [IF = 0.677)
1. Sohail Yousaf, Mariam Anees and Andrea Campisano (2016) Chapter 2: Grapevine endophytes and plant health: A culture independent approach. In: Biocontrol of major grapevine diseases: Leading research by S. Compant, F. Mathieu, pp 35-51, ISBN: 9781780647128. CAB International 2016.
2. Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Afzal, Mariam Anees, Riffat Naseem Malik and Andrea Campisano (2014) Chapter 15: Ecology and functional potential of endophytes in bioremediation: A molecular perspective. In: Advances in Endophytic Research; by VC Verma, AC Gange, pp301-320, ISBN: 978-81-322-1574-5 (Print) 978-81-322-1575-2 (Online). Springer, India.
3. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2013) Chapter 92: Ecology of alkane-degrading bacteria and their interaction with the plant. In Molecular Microbial Ecology of the Rhizosphere; by Frans J. de Bruijn, Vol. 2. 1st Edition. 10.1002/9781118297674.ch92, Wiley-Blackwell. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA.
1.1. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andia, Angela Sessitsch (2014) Plant-microbe interactions for improved phytoremediation of organic pollutants. 15th International Congress of Soil Sciences on Soil Management in Changing Climate, March 18-20, 2014, Islamabad, Pakistan. Abstract 87.
2. Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher, Livio Antonielli, Andrea Campisano (2013) Temperature and Climate Affect the Endophytes Community in Grapevine. International Conference on the Applications of Molecular Biology in Medicine and Agriculture, August 20-22, 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan. Abstract 117.
3. Muhammad Naveed, Bırgıt Mıtter, Sohail Yousaf and Angela Sessıtsch (2012) Effects of endophytic bacterial strains on yield and growth parameters of Maize. In: Current aspects of European endophyte research. COST Action FA1103: Endophytes in biotechnology and agriculture. 28th -30th March 2012 Reims, France. Abstract P48.
4. Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher and Andrea Campisano (2012) Metagenomic analysis of bacterial endophytic communities associated with grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) In: 28th New Phytologist Symposium on functions and ecology of the plant microbiome, 18th -21st May 2012 Rhodes, Greece. Abstract P91.
5. Andrea Campisano, Biagini B, Michael Pancher and Sohail Yousaf (2012) Characterisation of microbial endophytes from wild grapevine (Vitis vinifera subsp. sylvestris) In: 28th New Phytologist Symposium on functions and ecology of the plant microbiome, 18th -21st May 2012 Rhodes, Greece. Abstract P11.
6. Sohail Yousaf, Katrin Ripka, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Verania. Andria, Muhammad Afzal and Angela Sessitsch (2009) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from Italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil. In: Workshop Symbiotic Interactions, 19th- 20th November 2009 Munich, Germany. Abstract PG3/13.
7. Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Afzal, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Angela Sessitsch (2010) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from Italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil, In: 7th International Conference on Phytotechnologies, 26th- 29 September Parma, Italy. Abstract, 89.
8. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer, and Angela Sessitsch (2009) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization of selected bacterial strains isolated from the rhizosphere and plant interior of Italian ryegrass and Birdsfoot trefoil. In: European geoscience union general assembly, 19th-24th April 2009 Vienna, Austria. Abstract EGU2009, 2465.
9. Verania Andria, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer, K. Smalla and Angela Sessitsch (2009) Diversity of alkane degrading bacteria associated with plants in a petroleum oil-contaminated environment and expression of alkane monooxygenase genes. In: European geoscience union general assembly, 19th-24th April 2009 Vienna, Austria. Abstract EGU2009, 2456.
10. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2008) Hydrocarbon degradation and colonization of selected bacterial strains. In: Boku, Vienna, Austria. 2008.
11. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Stephane Compant, Thomas Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2008) Labelling of Pseudomonas strains with gfp marker gene for studying horizontal gene transfer in situ during bioremediation. In: Boku, Vienna, Austria. 2008.
1. Restoration of heavy metal contaminated agricultural soil through bacterial immobilization- based phytoremediation. Amount: 3.7 Million PKR, HEC (2018-2021).
2. Phylogenetic and functional analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) degrading microbes from contaminated soils Amount: 0.5Million; HEC SRGP [2013-2015 Completed].
3. Enhanced Tolerance of Ornamental Plants for Industrial Wastewater Contaminated with Heavy Metals.
MPhil/PhD Thesis Supervised
1. Elucidation of hydrocarbons and degrading microorganism in the contaminated environment
2. Study of heavy metals and associated microorganisms in the contaminated soils of Hattar Industrial Estate, Haripur
3. Characterization and degradation potential of endosulfan degrading bacteria from pesticide contaminated soils of Eastern Punjab
4. Assessment, isolation and characterization of Naphthalene and Pyrene degrading bacteria from industrial sites of Pakistan
5. Isolation and characterization of chromium resistant bacteria from tanneries effluent of Sialkot, Pakistan
6. Decolorization of Azo dyes from textile effluent by using bacterial consortium
7. Effect of light and nutrients on microbial assisted petroleum hydrocarbon degradation
8. Endophytic assisted phytoremediation of Chromium
9. Biosurfactant production and diesel degradation potential of microorganisms isolated from diesel contaminated soil
10. Role of immobilized fungi in de-colorization of textile dyes
11. Reduction of Chromium phytotoxicity and phytoavailibilty to wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) using biochar and bacteria
12. Effect of plant species, biochar and compost on hydrocarbon degradation and bacterial abundance
13. Removal of endosulfan by bio-augmentation and bio-stimulation
14. Integration of biological and physical methods for remediation of dyes and toxic metals from textile waste
15. Stimulated rhizoremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons in aged and spiked contaminated soil using compost, biochar and bacterial consortia
16. Microbially enhanced bioremediation of arsenic using aquatic plants in hydroponic system
17. Sorption and degradation of textile dyes by agricultural residues and immobilized fungi
18. Effect of two Biochar Types and Italian Ryegrass on Rhizoremediation of Polychlorinated Biphenyls and Bacterial Count
19. Decolorization of textile dyes by immobilized fungus and non-viable microalgae
20. Antibiotic tolerance and its co-metabolic remediation by freshwater micro algae Chlorella vulgaris
22. Biogenic Synthesized Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles for Decolorization and Degradation of Textile Dyes