Environmental Biotechnology and Bioremediation
Heavy Metal Toxicity and tolerance/accumulation mechanisms in plants
Molecular Plant Biology
Identification of molecular mechanisms for heavy metal tolerance and accumulation and transfer of these mechanisms to high biomass plants or agricultural crops.
1) Khan AHA, Ayaz M, Arshad M, Yousaf S, Khan MA, Anees M, Sultan A, Nawaz I, and Iqbal M. (2018). Biogeochemical cycle, occurrence and biological treatments of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions A: Science. doi.org/10.1007/s40995-017-0393-8 (IF = 0.217)
Li Y, Iqbal M, Zhang Q, Spelt C, Bliek M, Hakvoort HWJ, Quattrocchio FM, Koes R and Schat H. (2017). Two Silene vulgaris copper transporters residing in different cellular compartments confer copper hyper-tolerance by distinct mechanisms when expressed in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 215:1102-1114 doi: 10.1111/nph.14647 (IF = 7.33)
5) Khan AHA, Tanveer S, Anees M, Muhammad YS, Iqbal M, Yousaf S. (2016). Role of nutrients and illuminance in predicting the fate of fungal mediated petroleum hydrocarbon degradation and biomass production. Journal of Environmental Management. 176: 54-60. (IF = 4.01)
6) Khan AHA, Anees M, Arshad M, Muhammad YS, Iqbal M, Yousaf S. (2016). Effects of illuminance and nutrients on bacterial photo-physiology of hydrocarbon degradation. Science of the Total Environment 557-558: 705-711. (IF = 4.9)
7) Khan S, Zaffar H, Irshad U, Ahmad R, Khan AR, Shah MM, Bilal M, Iqbal M, and Naqvi T. (2016). Biodegradation of malathion by Bacillus licheniformis strain ML-1. Archives of Biological Sciences. 68(1), 51-59 (IF = 0.352)
8) N, Soybean (Glycine max) Extracts Impacts on Plant and Soil Biology. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. 47(15):1751-1763 DOI:10.1080/00103624.2016.1206920 (IF = 0.589) F, I, K, G, Y, M, M, M. (2016).
9) Ali A, Iqbal M, Ali Q, Razzaq A, Nasir IA. (2016). Gene Profiling for Invertase Activity: Assessment of Potato Varieties for Resistance towards Cold Induced Sweetening. Advancements in Life Sciences. 3(2): 63-70. (HEC “Y” Category). http://www.als-journal.com/articles/vol3issue2/325.16/325.16.pdf
10) Nawaz I, Iqbal M, Hakvoort HWJ, Bliek M, de Boer B and Schat H (2014) Expression levels and promoter activities of candidate salt tolerance genes in halophytic and glycophytic Brassicaceae. Environmental and Experimental Botany 99:59-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2013.10.006 (IF = 4.369)
11) Iqbal M, Nawaz I, Hassan Z, Hakvoort HWJ, Bliek M, Aarts MGM and Schat H (2013) Expression of HMA4 cDNAs of the zinc hyperaccumulator Noccaea caerulescens from endogenous NcHMA4 promoters does not complement the zinc-deficiency phenotype of the Arabidopsis thaliana hma2hma4 double mutant. Frontiers in Plant Science 4:404. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00404 (IF = 4.298)
12) Iqbal M, Akhtar J, Haq MA, Nasim M, Saeed A, Naveed M, (2007). Variation in growth and ion uptake in rice cultivars under NaCl stress in hydroponics. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences 44:393-405. http://pakjas.com.pk/papers%5C280.pdf (IF = 0.609)
1. 1). Annual meetings of “The Graduate School Experimental Plant Sciences” held in 2008, 2011 and in 2010 at "Lunteren" and "Leiden", respectively, The Netherlands.
2. 2). “11th International Conference on the Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements (ICOBTE-2011).” held on 3-7 July 2011 in Conference Center-Florence Italy.
4) "2nd International Congress & Expo on Biotechnology and Bioengineering (25-27 September 2017, Valencia Spain)
1) Transgenic expression of Noccaea caerulescens heavy metal tolerant gene (HMA4) in tobacco (HEC Start-up)
2) Risk assessment of transgenic potato on microbial community, enzymatic activity and physical/chemical properties of soils from major potato growing areas of Pakistan (USD 15,855 from CERA under The Biosafety Research in Pakistan Grants Program, http://cera-gmc.org/BRPGP_2014)
3) Combined effect of biochar as inoculant carrier of GFP tagged metal remediating bacteria and expression of metal tolerance proteins, to reduce phytoavailability of heavy metals (NRPU by HEC 2016-17)