· Bio-remediation, Phytoremediation
· Environmental microbiology and molecular biology
· Microbial / rhizosphere ecology
· Metagenomics analysis of microorganisms
· Nodulation and nitrogen fixation
· Plant growth promoting rhizobacteria
1. Khan AHA, Ayaz M, Arshad M, Yousaf S, Khan MA, Anees M, Sultan A, Nawaz I, and Iqbal M. (2018). Biogeochemical cycle, occurrence and biological treatments of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Transactions A: Science. doi.org/10.1007/s40995-017-0393-8.
2. Andrea Campisano, Davide Albanese, Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher, Claudio Donati and Ilaria Pertot (2017). Temperature drives the assembly of endophytic communities’ seasonal succession. Environmental Microbiology (2017) 19(8) 3353-3364.
3. Aqib Hassan Ali Khana, Sundus Tanveer, Mariam Anees, Aneesa Sultan, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf* (2017). Role of nutrients in bacterial biosurfactant production and effect of biosurfactant production on petroleum hydrocarbon biodegradation. Ecological Engineering 104 (2017) 158–164.
4. Maryem Arshad, Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Imran Hussain, Badar-uz-Zaman, Mariam Anees, Mazhar Iqbal, Gerhard Soja, Sohail Yousaf* (2017). The Reduction of Chromium Phytotoxicity and Phytoavailability to Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) using Biochar and Bacteria. Applied Soil Ecology. 114: 90–98.
5. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Sundus Tanveer, Mariam Anees, Yousaf Shad Muhammad, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf* (2016). Role of Nutrients and Illuminance in Predicting the Fate of Fungal Mediated Petroleum Hydrocarbon Degradation and Biomass Production. Journal of Environmental Management. 176 (2016) 54-60.
6. Aqib Hassan Ali Khan, Mariam Anees, Muhammad Arshad, Yousaf Shad Muhammad, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf* (2016). Effects of illuminance and nutrients on bacterial photo-physiology of hydrocarbon degradation. Science of the Total Environment. 557-558 (2016) 705-711.
7. Andrea Campisano, Michael Pancher, Gerardo Puopolo, Antonio Puddu, Sebastiàn Lòpez-Fernàndez, Barbara Biagini, Sohail Yousaf, Ilaria Pertot (2015). Diversity in Endophytic Populations Reveals Functional and Taxonomic Diversity Between Wild and Domesticated Grapevines. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 66 (1):12-21.
8. Maliha Jabeen, Zeshan, Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Rizwan Haider, Riffat Naseem Malik (2015). High-solids anaerobic co-digestion of food waste and rice husk at different organic loading rates. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 102 (2015) 149-153.
9. Muhammad Rizwan Haider, Zeshan, Sohail Yousaf, Riffat Naseem Mlaik, Chettiyappan Visvanathan (2015). Effect of Mixing Ratio of Food Waste and Rice Husk Co-digestion and Substrate to Inoculum Ratio on Biogas Production. Bioresource Technology. 190(2015) 451-457.
10. Iftkhar Ahmed, Muhammad Sajed, Aneesa Sultan, Iram Murtaza, Sohail Yousaf, Bushra Maqsood, Petr Vanhara, Mariam Anees (2015). The Erratic Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns of Bacterial Pathogens causing Urinary Tract Infections. EXCLI Journal 14:916-925.
11. Effect of Maternal Iodine Supplementation on Thyroid Function and Birth Outcome in Goiter Endemic Areas. Anees M, Anis RA, Yousaf S, Murtaza I, Sultan A, Arslan M, Shahab M (2015). Current Medical Research and Opinion 31(4):667-74.
12. Sohail Yousaf, Daniela Bulgari, Alessandro Bergna, Michael Pancher, Fabio Quaglino, Paola Casati, Andrea Campisano (2014). Pyrosequencing Detects Animal-pathogenic Taxa in the Grapevine Endosphere. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2014; 5: 327. 1-9.
13. Andrea Campisano, Livio Antonielli, Michael Pancher, Sohail Yousaf, Massimo Pindo, Ilaria Pertot (2014). Bacterial Endophytic Communities in the Grapevine depend on Pest Management. Plos One. 9 (11): e112763.
14. Andrea Campisano, Lino Ometto, Stephane Compant, Michael Pancher, Livio Antonielli, Sohail Yousaf, Claudio Varotto, Gianfranco Anfora, Ilaria Pertot, Angela Sessitsch, and Omar Rota-Stabelli (2014). Interkingdom Transfer of the Acne-Causing Agent, Propionibacterium acnes, from Human to Grapevine. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 31(5):1059-65.
15. Muhammad Naveed, Birgit Mitter, Sohail Yousaf, Milica Pastar, Muhammad Afzal and Angela Sessitsch (2014). The endophyte Enterobacter sp. FD17: a powerful maize enhancer selected based on rigorous testing of plant beneficial traits and colonization characteristics. Biology and Fertility of Soils. 50 (2), 249-262.
16. Michael Pancher, Marco Ceol, Paola Elisa Corneo, Claudia Maria Oliveira Longa, Sohail Yousaf, Ilaria Pertot, Andrea Campisano (2012) Fungal endophytic population shifts respond to agricultural management choices. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 78 (12): 4308-17.
17. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2012) The inoculation method affects colonization and performance of bacterial inoculant strains in the phytoremediation of soil contaminated with diesel oil. International Journal of Phytoremediation, 14: 35-47.
18. Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Afzal, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2011) Hydrocarbon degradation, plant colonization and gene expression of alkane degradation genes by endophytic Enterobacter ludwigii strains. Environmental Pollution, 159: 2675-2683.
19. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Melanie Kuffner and Angela Sessitsch (2011) Soil type affects plant colonization, activity and catabolic gene expression of inoculated bacterial strains during phytoremediation of diesel. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 186 (2-3): 1568-1575.
20. Sohail Yousaf, Katrin Ripka, Thomas. G. Reichenauer, Verania. Andria, Muhammad Afzal and Angela Sessitsch (2010) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from Italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 109 (4): 1389-1401.
21. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Kornelia Smalla and Angela Sessitsch (2010) Phylogenetic and functional diversity of alkane degrading bacteria associated with Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum) and birdsfoot trefoil (Lotus corniculatus) in a petroleum oil-contaminated environment. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 184 (1-3): 523-532.
22. Waseem Raza, Sohail Yousaf, Younas Nadeem, Aslam John (2007) Compaction and subsoiling effects on soil properties, plant nutrition concentration, and yield of Cotton (Gossipium hirsutum L.). American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, 2(4): 375-381.
23. Waseem Raza, Sohail Yousaf, Abid Niaz, M. Khalid Rasheed, Iqbal Hussain (2005) Subsoil compaction effects on soil properties, nutrient uptake and yield of maize fodder Zea mays L.). Pakistan Journal of Botany, 37(4): 933-940.
24. Sohail Yousaf, Javeed Akhtar, Waseem Raza, Iqbal Hussain, Muhammad Arshad (2004) Effect of Rhizobium inoculation and soil applied indole acetic acid on growth, nodulation and yield of mungbean (Vigna radiata L.). Pakistan Journal of Soil Science, 23 (1-2): 95-100.
25. Waseem Raza, M. Javed Akhtar, Muhammad Arshad and Sohail Yousaf (2004) Growth, nodulation and yield of mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) as influenced by coinoculation with Rhizobium and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 41(3-4): 125-130.
1. Sohail Yousaf, Mariam Anees and Andrea Campisano (2016) Chapter 2: Grapevine endophytes and plant health: A culture independent approach. In: Biocontrol of major grapevine diseases: Leading research by S. Compant, F. Mathieu, pp 35-51, ISBN: 9781780647128. CAB International 2016.
2. Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Afzal, Mariam Anees, Riffat Naseem Malik and Andrea Campisano (2014) Chapter 15: Ecology and functional potential of endophytes in bioremediation: A molecular perspective. In: Advances in Endophytic Research; by VC Verma, AC Gange, pp301-320, ISBN: 978-81-322-1574-5 (Print) 978-81-322-1575-2 (Online). Springer, India.
3. Muhammad Afzal, Sohail Yousaf, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2013) Chapter 92: Ecology of alkane-degrading bacteria and their interaction with the plant. In Molecular Microbial Ecology of the Rhizosphere; by Frans J. de Bruijn, Vol. 2. 1st Edition. 10.1002/9781118297674.ch92, Wiley-Blackwell. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA.
1. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andia, Angela Sessitsch (2014) Plant-microbe interactions for improved phytoremediation of organic pollutants. 15th International Congress of Soil Sciences on Soil Management in Changing Climate, March 18-20, 2014, Islamabad, Pakistan. Abstract 87.
2. Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher, Livio Antonielli, Andrea Campisano (2013) Temperature and Climate Affect the Endophytes Community in Grapevine. International Conference on the Applications of Molecular Biology in Medicine and Agriculture, August 20-22, 2013, Islamabad, Pakistan. Abstract 117.
3. Sohail Yousaf, Michael Pancher and Andrea Campisano (2012) Metagenomic analysis of bacterial endophytic communities associated with grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) In: 28th New Phytologist Symposium on functions and ecology of the plant microbiome, 18th -21st May 2012 Rhodes, Greece. Abstract P91.
4. Sohail Yousaf, Katrin Ripka, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Verania. Andria, Muhammad Afzal and Angela Sessitsch (2010) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from Italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil. In: Workshop Symbiotic Interactions, 19th- 20th November 2009 Munich, Germany. Abstract PG3/13.
5. Sohail Yousaf, Muhammad Afzal, Thomas G. Reichenauer, Angela Sessitsch (2010) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization by selected bacterial strains isolated from Italian ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil, In: 7th International Conference on Phytotechnologies, 26th- 29 September Parma, Italy. Abstract, 89.
6. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer, and Angela Sessitsch (2009) Hydrocarbon degradation and plant colonization of selected bacterial strains isolated from the rhizosphere and plant interior of Italian ryegrass and Birdsfoot trefoil. In: European geoscience union general assembly, 19th-24th April 2009 Vienna, Austria. Abstract EGU2009, 2465.
7. Sohail Yousaf, Verania Andria, Thomas G. Reichenauer and Angela Sessitsch (2008) Hydrocarbon degradation and colonization of selected bacterial strains. In: Boku, Vienna, Austria. 2008.
1. Data Management Workshop. September 20, 2016. The Australian National University, Canberra.
2. Training Course Chemical Safety. July 27, 2016. The Australian National University, Canberra.
3. Training Course Biological Safety. July 28, 2016. The Australian National University, Canberra.
4. Irrigation system and water management. November 14-23, 2012 Islamabad, Pakistan. Organized by AARDO-NCRD.
5. Food Security Situation in South Asia: Problems and Prospects. October 2-7, 2012 Islamabad, Pakistan. Organized by SAARC Human Resource Development Centre (SHRDC).
1. Phylogenetic and functional analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) degrading microbes from contaminated soils Amount: 0.5Million; HEC SRGP [2013-2015 Completed]
2. Elucidation of Hydrocarbons and Degrading Microorganisms in Contaminated Environment.
3. Study of heavy metals and associated microorganisms in the contaminated soil of Hattar Industrial Estate, Haripur.
4. Assessment of chromium contamination; isolation and characterization of resistant bacteria from tanneries effluent of Sialkot, Pakistan.
5. Decolonization and biodegradation of reactive dyes by using consortium and pure bacterial strains.
6. Assessment, isolation and characterization of Naphthalene and Pyrene degrading bacteria from contaminated soils of Pakistan.
7. Characterization and degradation potential of endosulfan degrading bacteria from pesticide contaminated soils of Eastern Punjab.