Dr. Mubashar Rehman is a self-motivated professional with strong passion for pharmaceutical production and innovation. His research involves use of pharmaceutical nanotechnology and tissue engineering for innovation in drug delivery and medical devices. Specifically, his research group is working on lipid-based drug delivery systems including lipid nanoparticles, self-emulsifying drug delivery system, emulsions, lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles, and liposomes/niosomes for various pharmaceutical applications. His prominent research achievement is the development of thermoresponsive lipid nanoparticles.
Publications (selected out of 30+):
1. Gul, U., Khan, M. I., Madni, A., Sohail, M. F., Rehman, M., Rasul, A., & Peltonen, L. (2022). Olive oil and clove oil-based nanoemulsion for topical delivery of terbinafine hydrochloride: in vitro and ex vivo evaluation. Drug Delivery, 29(1), 600-612.
2. Khan, M. M., Madni, A., Filipczak, N., Pan, J., Rehman, M., Rai, N., Attia, S. A., Torchilin V. P. "Folate targeted lipid chitosan hybrid nanoparticles for enhanced anti-tumor efficacy." Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine (2020): 102228.
3. Khalid, Q., Ahmad, M., Minhas, M. U., Batool, F., Malik, N. S., & Rehman, M. (2021). Novel β-cyclodextrin nanosponges by chain growth condensation for solubility enhancement of dexibuprofen: characterization and acute oral toxicity studies. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 102089.
4. Aziz, F., Rashid, M., Rehman, M., Rafique, M., & Imran, M. (2021). Facile and Novel Synthesis of Spiky Gold Nanoparticles as an Efficient Antimicrobial Agent against Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. Combinatorial Chemistry & High Throughput Screening. doi: 10.2174/1386207324666210617163037.
5. Al Islam, S., Jamil, Y., Javaid, Z., Hao, L., Amin, N., Javed, Y., Rehman, M.,... & Anwar, H. (2021). A Study on Thermal Response of Nanoparticles in External Magnetic Field. Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism, 1-6.
6. Sohail, Muhammad Farhan, Mubashar Rehman, Syed Zajif Hussain, Zil-E. Huma, Gul Shahnaz, Omer Salman Qureshi, Qandeel Khalid, Shaper Mirza, Irshad Hussain, and Thomas J. Webster. "Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles by Neem extract as multi-facet therapeutic agents." Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 59 (2020): 101911.
7. Usman, Muhammad, Yumna Zaheer, Muhammad Rizwan Younis, Ruken Esra Demirdogen, Syed Zajif Hussain, Yasra Sarwar, Mubashar Rehman, Waheed S. Khan, and Ayesha Ihsan. "The effect of surface charge on cellular uptake and inflammatory behavior of carbon dots." Colloid and Interface Science Communications 35 (2020): 100243.
8. Rauf, A., Sarwar, H. S., Amin, U., Naveed, S., Ali, I., Razzaq, S., Rehman, M., & Shahnaz, G. (2020). Tuberculosis Resistance and Nanoparticles: Combating the Dual Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in Macrophages for Tuberculosis Management. Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems.
9. Madni, A. U., Imran Khan, M., Rehman, M., & Tahir, N. (2020). Reverse Phase High Performance Liquid Chromatographic-Diode Array Detection Method for Quantitation of Rhein in Micro sample of Rabbit Plasma and Application to the Pharmacokinetic Study. Organic and Biochemistry, 42(6), 866-874.
10. Mahmood, M. A., Madni, A., Rehman, M., Rahim, M. A., & Jabar, A. (2019). Ionically cross-linked chitosan nanoparticles for sustained delivery of docetaxel: fabrication, post-formulation and acute oral toxicity evaluation. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 14, 10035.
Oral presentation (selected):
1. Exploring intrinsic properties of lipids for novel drug delivery applications. PACRIMS 2021, December, 2021. Vancouver, Canada.
2. New Paradigms in Pharmacy Education and Practice session in 2nd International Pharmacy Conference and Exhibition (IPCE) with theme held on 20-21 February, 2020, at Faculty of Pharmacy and Alternative Medicine, The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Bahawalpur, Pakistan.
3. Novel applications of natural lipids in targeted drug delivery and drug-free treatment of infections, Health Trigon Summit, 16-17 April, 2018, University of Lahore, Lahore, Pakistan
4. Fatty Acids based Nanoparticles for the Treatment of Gram Positive, Gram Negative and Multidrug Resistant Bacteria, National Conference on Recent Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences (NCRAPS), 7-8 March, 2018, University of Sargodha, Pakistan
5. Next Generation Lipid Nanoparticles for Thermoresponsive Drug Delivery. Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials. Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting 2017, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States.
6. Novel Applications of Binary Lipid Nanoparticles: Thermoresponsive Drug Delivery and Drug-Free Treatment of Infections. Materials Research Society, November-December, 2017. Hynes Convention Center, Boston, United States.
1. Secretary organizing committee-Pharmacists and Microbiologists Engagement for better antimicrobial stewardship Actions: Need of the day (Virtual), Qauid-i-Azam University Islamabad in collaboration with WHO, 27 November 2020.
2. Secretary organizing committee-4th International Pharmacy Conference (Virtual) on “Integrative multidisciplinary nanomedicine: A game-changing strategy for emerging infectious diseases” held on 10 October, 2020, at Department of Pharmacy, QAU, Islamabad.
3. Member Scientific Committee- The 5th Annual International Pharmacy Scientific Symposium & Pharmaceutical Exhibition, 29-30 March, 2019, University of Central Punjab, Pakistan
1. Research Grant as PI on “Novel thermoresponsive lipid nanoparticles (TLN) for combination thermotherapy and chemotherapy of cancer” under NRPU program of HEC, Pakistan (2022-present)
2. Research Grant as co-PI on “Development and Evaluation of Microneedle based Transdermal Patch Containing Quetipine for the Treatment of Schizophrenia” under NRPU program of HEC, Pakistan (2022-present)