The research carried out within the group is mainly focused on the synthesis of biologically active heterocycles of Pharmaceutical significance. The synthesized compounds are characterized using spectroscopic techniques and their anti-HIV, anti-proliferative, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial and urease inhibition activities are studied. We are also interested in the synthesis of bioactive natural products.
Another area of interest is that of molecular liquid crystals and polymeric liquid crystals, in particular, side chain liquid crystal polymers (SCLCP). The characterization is carried out using DSC, POM and XRD.
1. Tashfeen Akhtar, Shahid Hameed, Khalid Mohammad Khan, Ajmal Khan and Muhammad Iqbal Chaudhary, “Design, Synthesis and Urease Inhibition studies of some 1,3,4-oxadiazoles and 1,2,4-triazoles derived from Mandelic acid” J. Enz. Inhib. Med. Chem. 25, 572-576, (2010).
2. Mahmood-ul-Hassan Khan, Shahid Hameed, Khawaja Ansar Yasin, Tashfeen Akhtar and Khalid Mohammed Khan, “Synthesis and Urease Inhibition Studies of Some 4-amino-5-aryl-2H-1,2,4-triazole-3(4H)-thiones” Monatshef. Chem., 141, 479-484, (2010).
3. Mahmood-ul-Hassan Khan, Tashfeen Akhtar, Khawaja A.Yasin, Najim A. Al-Masoudi, Peter G. Jones, and Shahid Hameed. “Synthesis, Crystal Structure and Antiproliferative Activity of 6-Adamantyl-3-aryl[1,2,4]triazolo[3,4-b][1,3,4]thiadiazoles” Z. Naturforsch., 65b, 178 – 184, (2010).
4. K. Ansar Yasin, A. Ansarifar, S. Hameed, L. Wang. “A new method for crosslinking and reinforcing acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber using a silanized silica nanofiller” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, Published Online: Jul 16 2009 8:58PM; DOI: 10.1002/pat.1518 (2010).
5. Ali Ansarifar, Li wang, Saeed Ostad Movahed, Farhan Saeed, K. Ansar Yasin, S. Hameed. “Curing Rubber Compounds Efficiently and Cost-effectively” Tire Tecnology International, 110-114, 2009. (Annual review of Tire Materials and Tire Manufacturing Technology)
6. Maryam Zahid, Khawaja A. Yasin, Tashfeen Akhtar, Nasim H. Rama, Shahid Hameed, Najam A. Al-Masoudi, Roberta Loddo and Paolo La Colla. “Synthesis and in vivo antiproliferative activity of new adamantylthiazolyl-1,3,4-oxadiazoles” ARKIVOC, xi, 85-93 (2009).
7. Monazza Serwar, Tashfeen Akhtar, Shahid Hameed and Khalid M. Khan. “Synthesis, Urease Inhibition and Antimicrobial Activities of some Chiral 5-aryl-4-(1-phenylpropyl)-2H-1,2,4-triazole-3-(4H)-thiones” ARKIVOC, vii, 210-221 (2009).
8. Muhammad K. Kashif, Iftikhar Ahmad and Shahid Hameed “Synthesis and hypoglycemic activity of 5,5-dimethylarylsulfonylimidazolidine-2,4-diones” ARKIVOC, xvi, 311-317 (2008).
9. S. Ostad Movahed, K. Ansar Yasin, A. Ansarifar, M. Song and S. Hameed. “Comparing effects of silanized silica nanofiller on the crosslinking and mechanical properties of natural rubber and synthetic polyisoprene” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 109, 869–881 (2008).
10. T. Akhtar, S. Hameed, K. M. Khan and M. I. Choudhary “Synthesis, urease inhibition, and antimicrobial studies of some chiral 3-substituted-4-amino-5-thioxo-1H,4H-1,2,4-triazoles” Med. Chem. 4(6), 539-543 (2008).
11. Tashfeen Akhtar, Shahid Hameed, Najim Al-Masoudi, Roberta Loddo, and Paola La Colla. “In vitro antitumor and antiviral activities of new benzothiazole and 1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thione derivatives” Acta Pharmaceutica, 58, 135-149 (2008).
12. Tashfeen Akhtar, Shahid Hameed, Najim A. Al-Masoudi and Khalid M. Khan “Synthesis and anti-HIV activity of new chiral 1,2,4-triazoles and 1,3,4-thiadiazoles” Heteroatom. Chem. 18 (3), 316-322 (2007).
13. Tashfeen Akhtar, Rizwan N. Paracha, Shahid Hameed, Nasim Hassan Rama and Masud Riaz, “Synthesis of phenyl styryl ketone resins and their applications to the uptake of lead(II) and copper(II) ions in aqueous solutions” Polymer(Korea), 31(2), 93-97 (2007).