Food and Nutritional Microbiology
Microbial Diversity of Indigenous Fermented Foods
Interactions in Food related Microbial Communities
Food Safety, Food toxicology
Publications in Scientific Journals
Stan Kubow, Behnam Azadi, Rani Faryal, Barkat Ali, Shakira Ghazanfar, . Frontiers in Microbiology.
3. Farah. N. M. N. Khan, A. Javed, I. Ahmed, N.Ali, M.I.Ali, S.M. Bakhtiar, M. Imran. 2019. Genomic and Functional Characterization of Enterococcus mundtii QAUEM2808, Isolated From Artisanal Fermented Milk Product Dahi. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10:434.
4. Imran, M., Desmasures, N., Coton, M., Coton, E., Le Flèche-Matéos, A., Irlinger, F., Delbès, C., Stahl, V., Montel, M.-C.,Vernoux, J.-P., 2019. Safety assessment of Gram-negative bacteria associated with traditional French cheeses. Food Microbiology. 79.1-10. ISSN 0740-0020. (IF:4.09)
5. Hafiz Arbab Sakandar, ..M. Imran. 2019. Sourdough Bread a Contemporary Cereal Fermented Product: Invited Review. Journal of Food Processing and Preservtion. 43 (3).1-15.(IF:1.51).
6. Abu bakar Muhammad, B. S.A. Imran, J.P-Vernoux, M.I. Ali, R. Faryal, N. Desmasures, M. Imran. 2019. Purification, Characterization and Thermodynamic Assessment of an Alkaline Protease by Geotrichum candidum of Dairy Origin. Iranian Journal of Biotechnology. IJB-1709-2042 (In press). (IF:0.338)
7. Hafiz Arbab Sakandar, Sarfraz Ahmad, Rashida Perveen, Hafiz Khuram Wasim Aslam, Azam Shakeel, Faizan Ahmed Sadiq, Muhammad Imran. 2018. Camel Milk and its Allied Health Claims: A review, Progres in Nutrition. 20S:15-29. (IF:). DOI: 10.23751/pn.v20i1-S.5318.
8. Yaqub, Hafiz Arbab Sakandar, Nuzhat Huma, Faizan Ahmed Sadiq, Qaiser Farid Khan, Muhammad Imran, Abdur Rehman, Rashida Perveen, Ayesha Sameen. 2018. Effects of Artificial Sweeteners on the Quality Parameters of Yogurt During Storage. Progres in Nutrition. 20 (2-S): 57-63. DOI: 10.23751/pn.v20i2-S.5667. (IF:).
9. Hafiz Arbab Sakandar, M. Afzaal,Tahir Zahoor,Faizan Ahmed Sadiq, Farhan Ahmad, Muhammad Imran, Adeela Yasmin, Qaiser Farid Khan. 2018. Effect of encapsulation on the viability of probiotics in youghurt. Progres in Nutrition. 20 (2-S):44-52. (IF:).
10. Imrana Amir, amina zuberi, M. Imran, Sana Ullah. 2018. Evaluation of yeast and bacterial based probiotics for early rearing of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822). Aquculture Research. 49 (12): 3856-3863. (IF:1.475). DOI: 10.1111/are.13852.
11. Saima Khalid, Noshal Hussain, M. Imran. 2018. Detection of Aflatoxigenicity of Aspergillus flavus Based on Potential Gene Marker from Food and Feed Samples. Journal of food safety. 38(3). e12448 (IF:1.275)..
12. Arbab, H. M., Khadija Usman, M. Imran. 2018. Isolation and Characterization of Gluten Degrading Enterococcus munditii and Wickerhanomyces anomalusm Potential Probiotic Strains from Indigenously Fermented Sourdough. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 91:271-277. (IF: 3.129). (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2018.01.023).
13. Ifra Ghori, Misbah Tabassum, Tanveer Ahmad, Amina Zuberi and Muhammad Imran. 2018. Geotrichum candidum Enhanced the Enterococcus faecium Impact in Improving Physiology, and Health of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822) by Modulating Gut Microbiome under mimic aquaculture conditions.Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 18:1255-1267. (IF :0.482) DOI: 10.4194/1303-2712-v18_11_02.
14. Shakira Ghazanfar, Maria Qubtia, Iftikhar Ahmed, Fariha Hasan, Muhammad Iqbal Anjum and Muhammad Imran. 2018. Effect of indigenously isolated Saccharomyces cerevisiae probiotics on milk production, nutrient digestibility, blood chemistry and fecal microbiota in lactating dairy cows. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences 28 (2)
15. Khalid, Saima; Baccile, Joshua; Spraker, Joseph; Tannous, Joanna; Muhammad Imran, Schroeder, Frank; Keller, Nancy 2018. NRPS-derived Isoquinolines and Lipopetides Mediate Antagonism between Plant Pathogenic Fungi and Bacteria. ACS Chem. Biol.13 (1). (IF:4.592).
16. Muhammad Ibrar, Amina. Zuberi,, Imrana Amir, Muhammad Imran, Zohaib Noor 2017 Effect of Probiotic Geotrichum candidum on Early Rearing of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822).Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 17: 1263-1270. (IF :0.482)
17. Abubakar Muhammad, S.A.I Bokhari, Naeem Ali, Hamid Mukhtar, Ali Nawaz and M. Imran. 2017. Purification and characterization of extracellular lipase by Geotrichum candidum of dairy origin. Pak. J. Bot., 49(2): 757-761. (IF :0.94)
18. Rabia Liaquat, A. Jamal, I. Tauseef , Z. Qureshi, U. Farooq, Muhammad Imran, M. I. Ali. 2017. Characterizing Bacterial Consortia from an Anaerobic Digester Treating Organic Waste for Biogas Production. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 26 (2) (IF :1.120)
19. Yasmin, N., R. Javed, S. Hameed, S. Ahmed, M. Imran. 2017. Inactivation of Food borne Pathogens on Food packaging and in Cow Milk by Exposure of Nd: YAG Laser Canadian Journal of Physics 95(7): 662-669, (IF :0.724)
20. Farah, N, Mehdi, A, Soomro, S.I, Soomro, N. I., Tareb, R, Desmasures N. Vernoux JP, Bakhtiar SM, M. Imran. 2016. Draft Genome Sequence of Enterococcus mundtii QAUEM2808, Isolated from Dahi, a Fermented Milk Product. Genome Announcements 4(5)
21. Bushra Jamil, Rashda Abbasi, Shahid Abbasi, Muhammad Imran, Siffat, U. Khan, Ayesha Ihsan, Sundus Javed, Habib Bokhari and Muhammad Imran 2016. Encapsulation of cardamom essential oil in chitosan nano-composites: In-vitro efficacy on antibiotic resistant bacterial pathogens and cytotoxicity studies. Frontiers in Microbiology 7; 1580.
doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01580. (IF: 4.019) (Q1-Microbiology)
22. Madeeha Ilyas Rana, Aamer Ikram, Muhammad Imran. 2016. A preliminary insight of correlation between fecal microbial diversity and blood lipid profile. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition 29:1-7 (IF: 1.76). (Q3-Food Science and technology/Q4-Nutrition and Dietetics)
23. Hajra Hanif · Awais Anjum · Naeem Ali · Asif Jamal · Muhammad Imran, Bashir Ahmad Muhammad Ishtiaq Ali. 2015. Isolation and Antibiogram of Clostridium tetani from Clinically Diagnosed Tetanus Patients. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene 93:752-756. (IF 2.564) (Q1-tropical medicine/ Q2-Public, environmental and occupational health)
24. Sakandar HA, Imran M, Huma N, Ahmad S, Aslam HKW (2014) Effects of Polymerized Whey Proteins Isolates on the Quality of Stirred Yoghurt made from Camel Milk. J Food Process Technol 5:350. doi: 10.4172/2157-7110.1000350.
25. Ibrahim, T, A. Bano, H. J. Chaudhary, M. Imran, Z. Mehmood, S. W. Hassan, N. Muhammad, S. A. H. Naqvi, M. F. H. Munis. 2014. Evaluation of Different Inoculation Methods for the Induction of Spot Blotch Caused by Helminthosporium sativum in Wheat. Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) 39 (3):1-11 (IF: 0.211) (Q4-Agronomy)
26. Muhammad, A.B.; Zaffar Mehmood; Munis, M. F. H.; Chaudhary, H. J.; T. Masud; Mahmood, T.; Haider, M. I.; Muhammad Imran 2014. Comparative biodiesel production potential of food waste oils as renewable energy source. Asian Journal of Chemistry 26 (2) -527-530. (IF 0.14) (Q4-Chemistry, Multidisciplinary)
27. Imran M, Bre J. M, Guéguen M., Vernoux J-P, Desmasures N. 2013. Reduced growth of Listeria monocytogenes in two model cheese microcosms is not associated with individual microbial strains. Food microbiology 33, 30-39 (IF:4.09), (Q1-Food Science and technology, Q1-Biotechnology and applied microbiology, Q2-Microbiology) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23122498
28. Talat M, T. Masud, M. Imran, Iftikhar Ahmed, N. Khalid. 2013. Selection and characterisation of probiotic culture of Streptococcus thermophilus from dahi. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition ;64(4):494-501 (IF: 1.52). (Q3-Food Science and technology/Q4-Nutrition and Dietetics)
29. Imran, M., Vernoux, J-P., Ledauphin, J., Bernay, B. & Desmasures N. (2012). Study of hurdle effect of model microbial communities exhibiting antilisterial activity in a cheese microcosm. Renc. Rech. Ruminants (19) 245-247.http://www.journees3r.fr/spip.php?article3424
30. Javed A., T. Masud, Q. ul Ain, M. Imran, S. Maqsood. 2011. Enterocins of Enterococcus faecium, emerging natural food preservatives. A review. Annals of Microbiology, 61 (4), 699-708, (IF: 1.549)- (Q4- Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology/ Q4 Microbiology). http://www.springerlink.com/content/k4322047h230163v/
31. Sandra Larpin, Muhammad Imran, Catherine Bonaïti, Nagamani Bora, Roberto Gelsomino, Stefanie Goerges, Françoise Irlinger, Michael Goodfellow, Alan C. Ward, Marc Vancanneyt, Jean Swings, Siegfried Scherer, Micheline Guéguen and Nathalie Desmasures. (2011) Surface microbial consortia from Livarot, a French smear ripened cheese. Canadian journal of microbiology. 57, 651-660 (IF: 1.243). (Q4- Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology/ Q4 Microbiology)
32. Imran M, Desmasures N, Vernoux J-P. (2010) From undefined read smear cheese consortia to model communities having similar antilisterial activity on a micro-cheese (agar) matrix. Food Microbiology 27 1095-1103 (IF: 4.6). (Q1- Food Science and technology, Q1-Biotechnology and applied microbiology, Q2-Microbiology)
33. Zaheer Ahmed, Yanping Wang, Qiaoling Cheng and M. Imran (2010) Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteriocin, from production to their application: An overview. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9(20) 2843-2850 (IF: 0.573). (Q4-Biotechnology and applied microbiology)
34. Maqsood’ S., F. Hasan, T. Masud, M. Imran. 2008. Preliminary characterisation of Bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus acidophilus TS1 isolated from traditional Dahi. Annals of Microbiology, 58 (4) 1-6 (IF: 1.407) (Q4- Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology/ Q4 Microbiology).
1. Muhammad Hussein Alu’datt,M.Imran, Neveen Mustafa and Wafa Ayadi. 2018 Fermented Food-Derived Bioactive Compounds with Anticarcinogenic Properties: Fermented Royal Jelly As a Novel Source for Compounds with Health Benefits in In book: Anticancer plants: Properties and Application Publisher: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd.
2. Shakira Ghazanfar, Nauman Khalid, Iftikhar Ahmed and Muhammad Imran. 2017. Probiotic Yeast: Mode of Action and its Effects on Ruminant Nutrition. in "Yeast - Industrial Applications", ISBN 978-953-51-5782-3. In Tech Open, London, UK.
3. Mazhar Rafique….. M. Imran, Hassan Javed. 2015. In book: The Battle Against Microbial Pathogens: Basic Science, Technological Advances and Educational Programs., Chapter: Bacterial biofilm formation and its role against agricultural pathogens, Publisher: Formatex Research Center, Spain.
4. Desmasures, N., Imran, M., Cretenet, M., 2015. Structure–Function Relationships of Microbial Communities, in: Bora, N., Dodd, C., Desmasures, N. (Eds.), Diversity, Dynamics and Functional Role of Actinomycetes on European Smear Ripened Cheeses. Springer International Publishing, pp. 167-184. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-10464-5_7
5. Imran, M., Desmasures, N., 2015. Safety and Quality Aspects of Smear Ripened Cheeses, in: Bora, N., Dodd, C., Desmasures, N. (Eds.), Diversity, Dynamics and Functional Role of Actinomycetes on European Smear Ripened Cheeses. Springer International Publishing, pp. 199-215. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-10464-5_9
6. Imran M., Desmasures N., Vernoux J-P. “Fermented food ecosystems having complex microbial communities and functional properties” in book titled: Fermentation: Effects on Food Properties, In series: Chemical & Functional Properties of Food Components. April 10, 2012, CRC Press - 399 Pages.
Conferences Abstracts (Oral and poster presentations)
Trends in Bioinformatics and Biosciences (ICETBB) CUST, Islamabad. October 2015.
18. Farah Nawaz, Sadia Mehmood, Saima Riaz and M. Imran. 2015. Diversity and technological potential of locally isolated lactic acid bacteria from fermented milk. 10th Biennial International conference of Pakistan Society for Microbiology. Exploring Microbes for future Endeavors. March 25-28,. Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Punjab, Lahore.
19. Noor ul Huda, Amina Zuberi, Baber Khan, M. Imran, Saeeda Raza. Strain base comparative effects of Dietary Probiotic Geotrichum candidum on digestive enzymes and body composition of Ctenopharyngodon idella and Tor putitora. 5th International Fisheries symposium, 24-25 February 2015, Pearl Continental Hotel, Lahore Pakistan.
20. Organise session « Biotechnologies for Industrial Needs » in 3rd innovation to invention summit 2014. Punjab University Lahore 19-20 March, 2014.
22. Saima Khalid and Muhammad Imran. Comparaison of Molecular and Phenotypic Approaches to Evaluate Aflatoxigenic Potential of Aspergillus flavus.5th International Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change. Sep. 9-11, 2014 at The University of Poonch Rawalakot (Oral Presentation).
23. Hafiz Arbab Sikandar, Muhammad Imran, Hafiz Khuram Waseem Aslam, Muhammad Asim, Azam Shakeel and Muhammad Shoaib Biodegradable Coating of Minimally Processed Melon: A New Tool For Food Preservation. National Conference on “Innovative Technologies and Sustainable Development in Agriculture” August 19-22, 2014 Agricultural University Teachers Association (AUTA) The University of Agriculture Peshawar-Pakistan at Bara Gali –Pakistan.
24. Noor ul Huda—M. Imran and Amina Zubari, 2014 comparative effect of three strains of dietary probiotics Geotrichum candidum on growth performance and immunity of Ctenopharyngodon idella and Tor Putitora, 34th Pakistan congress of Zoology, 25-27 Feb 2014. Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan-Pakistan.
25. Huda S. Kifayyat Ullah, S. Ahmed, Manzoor Khan, M. Imran and Amina Zubari. 2014. Effect of diferent strains of dietary probiotics on digestive enzymes on Juvenil Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella). 34th Pakistan congress of Zoology, 25-27 Feb 2014. Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan-Pakistan.
26. Momina Abbasi, Abu bakar Muhammad, Saima Riaz, Farah Nawaz and M. Imran. 2013. Impact of mix culture of Geotrichum candidum and lactic acid bacteria on yoghurt keeping quality. International Conference on Emerging Issues in Nutrition & Food safety, 21-23 Oct. 2013, University of Agriculture Faisalabad -Pakistan
27. Abu bakar Muhammad and M. Imran. 2013. Geotrichum candidum as a potential proteolytic microbe for food industry. International Conference on Emerging Issues in Nutrition & Food safety, 21-23 Oct. 2013, University of Agriculture Faisalabad –Pakistan.
28. Smayia Sharif, Nafeesa Qudsia Hanif, Shakira Ghazanfar, M. Imran, 2013. Effect of inoculant concentration on safety and nutritional quality of corn silage. International Conference, Application of Molecular Biology in Medicine and Agriculture, August 20-22, 2013. National Centre for Physics, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad
29. Imran, M., K. Saima, S. Ahmed, N. Desmasures, Impact of Microbial Diversity and Interactions on the Safety of Fermented Foods. 6th Annual World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology (IBIO-2013) Nanjing China 25-27 April 2013 (Oral Presentation).
30. Imran M. Starter Culture - An Import Substitute for Dairy and Health Sector. Invention to Innovation Summit 2013, organized by Institute of Research Promotion (IPR) in collaboration with PSF and PCST. 9-10 April, 2013. University of the Punjab Lahore Pakistan.
31. Abu Bakar M, Ikram-Ul-Haq, U. Hameed, S. Ahmed, M. I., Ali and M. Imran. Evaluation of cladophora sp. Oil for the production of biodiesel as renewable energy source. 33rd Pakistan Congress of Zoology. 2-4 April 2013. Islamabad (Oral presentation).
32. Imran, M., S. Ahmed, J-P Vernoux, and N. Desmasures. Evaluation of antagonistic interaction in a cheese Microcosm by using metaproteomic and metabolomics approaches. 2nd International conference future perspectives of food processing industry in Pakistan. December 11-12, 2012. Department of food Science, Govt. college university Faisalabad, Pakistan (Key note speaker).
33. Abu Bakar Muhammad, Ifra Ghori, Farah Nawaz, M. Imran. Future Challenges for Pakistani Food Industry Regarding Microbial safety. 2nd International conference future perspectives of food processing industry in Pakistan. December 11-12, 2012. Department of food Science, Govt. college university Faisalabad, Pakistan (Poster presentation, 3rd Price).
34. Waqas, A., S. Ahmed, M. Imran High incidence and antibiotic resistance of pathogenic bacteria in raw milk. 1st National Symposium on "New Horizons of Microbiology" Steps of Microbes on the Ladder of Life, November 7-8, 2012. Federal Urdu University of Arts Science and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan (Oral presentation).
35. Imran M., Desmasures N., Ahmad S., Hameed A. Vernoux J-P. Characterization of antilisterial activity of model microbial community in a cheese microcosm. International conference on emerging issues in food safety. 14-16th November, 2011. National institute of Food Science and technology, Faisalabad-Pakistan (Invited presentation).
36. Imran M., Iabbassen A, Panoff JM, Desmasures N, Vernoux J-P. 2010. Focusing Metaproteomic analysis of simple microbial community in a cheese microcosm. 8th Congress of French Society of Microbiology (SFM) Congress, Marseille, France, 2-4 June 2010 (Poster presentation)
37. Imran M, Desmasures N, Vernoux J-P. 2010. Role of Microbial Growth Dynamics in Antilisterial Activity of Model Microbial Communities Originating from Cheese. 110th General Meeting of American society for Microbiology (ASM), San Diego-California USA. 23-27 May 2010. (Poster presentation)
38. Imran M, Desmasures N, Vernoux J-P. 2009. Reconstitution of simple “smear like” microbial consortia active against Listeria monocytogenes in cheese agar 4th IDF (International Dairy Federation) Dairy Science and Technology Week 20-24 April 2009. Rennes-France (Poster presentation)
39. Imran M, Desmasures N, Vernoux J-P. 2009 Comparison of Listeria monocytogenes enumeration by rRNA hybridization and classical oxford media from micro-cheese agar. 12th Day of Doctorate school of Normandy, Integrative Biology, Health and Environment (EdNBISE) 20th March 2009, Rouen, France (Oral presentation)
- Research Projects:
- Designing and development of biosensor for Rapid dectecion of aflatoxins contamination in Milk and other Foods (Co-PI). Project No. 9848. Approved. 2018.
- Pangenome analysis of indigenously isolated lactic acid bacteria to identify the genetic basis of technological and bioactive properties to develop probiotic supplements and starter cultures for dairy industry. HEC- 2018-2020. (PI.) Project No. 6167.(2.99 Million)
- Development of microbial based feed supplement and evaluation of its efficiency on growth, production and health of dairy cattle (PSF-2017-2019). (PI). Project No. PSF/ILP/C-QU/Biotech (078), (5.0 Million) Pakistan Science Foundation (PSF) and 3 Million by SRC (Shafi Resco Chemicals PVT).
- Microbiological safety assessment of milk and Dahi. Higher education commission (HEC) (Rs. 0.5 Million) starting date: August 2011.
- Effect of Lactobacillus spp., based inoculant level on microbial diversity and nutritional value of corn silage. (0.055 Million) URF. 2013.
· Nucleotides Sequences Accession Numbers submitted to NCBI gene bank
NCBI: accession Numbers: G. candidum: KT280407, Aspergillus flavus: No. KP036603, KP036602, Pichia kudriavzevii: KT987926, KT987927and Lactic acid bacteria: KP256006, KP256007, KP256008 KP256009, KP256010, KT021871, KT021872, KT021870, KT021869, KT021873, KT021874, KT021875, KP256018, KP273582, KP256013, KP256014, KP256015, KP256011, KP256012, KP256016, KP256017, KP256021, KP256019, KP826774,). KP036602, KP036603, KP826777, KT033699, KT033700, KT033701, KT033702, KP826775, KP826776.