Plant hormones, Agrochemicals, Biological, Nitrogen Fixation, Abiotic Stress(Salt and Drought Stress), Phytoremediation
(PUBLISHED PAPERS IN JOURNALS)
Publications in International Journals
1. Q.A.Fattah, Z.Hussain and A.Bano. Enhanced activity of two respiratory enzymes in maize leaves following potassium naphthenate application. J. Asiatic Soc.,Bangladesh, 2(2): 59-62 (1978).
2. Q.A.Fattah, Z.Hussain and A.Bano. Effect of potassium naphthenate on amylase and hexokinase activity of maize grains. Bangladesh J. Bot. 7(1): 77-82, (1978).
3. Q.A.Fattah, Z.Hussain and A.Bano. Quantitative changes in the biochemical components of maize grains following potassium naphthenate application. Dacca University Stud. BXXVI (1): 95-99 (1978).
4. Z.Hussain, Q.A.Fattah and A.Bano. Glutamic aminotransferase activity in maize Leaves as affected by Potassium Naphthenate treatment. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res.(1978).
5. Q.A.Fattah, Z.Hussain and A.Bano. A pathway of action of Potassium naphthenate. J. Bangladesh Acad. Sci. 3(1 and 2): 1-6 (1979).
6. Q.A.Fattah, Z.Hussain and A.Bano. Varietal varintion of protein, oil, carbohydrate and ash contentin Winged bean seeds. Dacca University Studies, B XXVIII (1):71-74, (1980).
7. A.Bano, Q.A.Fattah and Z.Hussain. Relationship between nitrate reductase, nitrogen content, grain yield and protein content of potassium naphthenate treated maize plants. Indian J. Plant Physiol. 23(3): 238-243, (1980).
8. Q.A.Fattah and A.Bano. Effect of NaCl on Winged bean seed germination. Tropical Grain Legume Bulletin 20:16-18, (1980).
9. A.Bano and Q.A.Fattah. Root exudates of Winged bean. Tropical Grain Legume Bulletin.(2): 19-20, (1980).
10. A.Bano, S.H.Watts, J.R.Hillman and C.T.Wheeler. Abscisic acid and nitrogen fixation in Faba vulgaris and Alnus glutinosa. In: Interaction between nitrogen and growth regulators in the control of plant development (M.B.Jackson ed.)British Plant Growth Regulator Monograph 9.Wantage pp:5-19,(1983).
11. A.Bano and J.R.Hillman. Effect of abscisic acid on nodule morphology, nitrogenase activity and H2 -evolution in Faba vulgaris. Annals of Botany. 58(2): 281-283, (1986
12. A.Bano and J.R.Hillman. Uptake, distribution and metabolism of [2- C14 -ABA]. Abscisic acid in Faba vulgaris (Vicia faba) during root nodulation. Crop. Res. (Hort.Res) 29 (2): 77-86, (1989).
13. A.Bano and J.R.Hillman. Endogenous free and conjugated Abscisic acid in Faba vulgaris (Vicia faba) and Alnus gultinosa. Crop. Res. (Hort.Res) 29 (2): 65-76, (1989).
14. A. Bano, Karl Dorffling, D. Bettin & H. Hahn. Abscisic acid and cytokinins as possible Root-to-Shoot signals in xylem sap of rice plants in drying soil. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 20(1): 109-15: 1993.
15. A. Bano and Karl Dorffling. Root to shoot signal transduction in rice.Biotechnology Quarterly, USA, 18, 26, 1994.
16. A.Bano, H. Hansen, K.Dorffling & H. Hahn. Changes in the contents of free and conjugated abscisic acid phaseic acid and cytokinins in xylem sap of drought stressed sunflower plants. Phytochem. 37(2): 345-347, 1994.
17. A Bano & Karl Dorffling. Abscisic acid (ABA) as a root-to-shoot signal in rice. IRRI
Newsletter 17(6),9, 1992.
18.Samina Mehnaz, M. Sajjad Mirza, Jacqueline Haurat, Rene Bally, Phillipe Normand
, Asghari Bano & K. A. Malik 2000. Isolation and 16S rRNA sequence analysis of the
beneficial bacteria from the rhizosphere of rice. Can. J. Microbiol 47(2):110-11
19. A.Bano,J.E.Harper,R.M.Auge and Dawn S.Neuman 2002. changes in phytohormone levels following inoculation of 2 soybean lines differing in nodulation. Functional Plant Biol. 29(1):965-974.
20 A.Bano and J.E.Harper 2002.Effect of plant growth regulators and phloem exudates on root nodulation of soybean. Functional Plant Biol. 29(2): 1-9.
21. Jehan Bakht ,Asghari Bano, and Peter Dominy.2006.The role of abscisic acid and low temperature in chickpea (Cicer arietinum) cold tolerance:II Effects on plasma membrane structure and function.J. Exp. Bot. 57(14):3707-3715.
22 Babur Saeed Mirza, M.Sajjad Mirza,Asghari Bano and Kauser A. Malik. 2007. Coinoculation of chickpea with Rhizobium isolates from roots and nodules and phytohormone-producing Enterobacter strains.
Australian J.Exp.Agriculture. 47(8):1008-1015.
23.Javed Kamal and Asghari Bano 2008. Allelopathic potential of sunflower (Helianthus annus L.) on soil metals and its leaves extracts on physiology of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) seedlings. African J. Biotechnology 7(18):3261-3265
24. Javed Kamal and Asghari Bano 2008 Effects of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) extracts on wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and physicochemical characteristics of soil. African Journal of Biotechnology. 7 (22):. 4130-4135,
25. Javed Kamal and Asghari Bano 2008 Potential allelopathic effects of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) on microorganisms. African Journal of Biotechnology. 7 (22): 4208-4211
26. A. Bano and Mussarat Fatima 2009. Salt Tolerance in Zea mays (L).following inoculationwith Pseudomonas and Rhizobium . Biol. Fertil. Soils . 45.405-413
27. Faizan Ullah ,Asia Nosheen , Ishtiaq Hussain and Asghari Bano 2009 Base catalyzed transesterification of wild apricot kernel oil for biodiesel production. African Journal of Biotechnology 8(14),pp.3289-3293
28. A.R.Gurmani, A.Bano, J.Din,S.U Khan and I.Hussain 2009.Effect of phytoharmones on growth and ion accumulatation of wheat under salinity stress. African Journal of Biotechnology 8(9).pp.1887-1894
29.Irum naz,Asghari Bano and Tamoor-ul-Hassan 2009. Isolation of phytohormones producing plant growth promoting rhizobacteria from weeds growing in khyewra salt range,Pakistan and thgeir implication in providing salt tolerance to Glycine max L. Afrrican J. Biotech. 8(21):5762-5766.
30.Sumera Iqbal and Asghari Bano 2009. Water stress induced changes in antioxidant enzymes,membrane stability and seed protein profile of different wheat accessions. African J.Biotech.8(23):6576-6587.
31) Fazal Hadi and Asghari Bano 2009. Utilization of Parthenium hysterophorus for the remediation of lead-contaminated soil. Weed Biol. Management. 9:307-314
32. Noshin Ilyas and Asghari Bano 2010. Azospirillum strains isolated from roots and rhizosphere soil od wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grown under different soil moisture conditions. Biol Fertil. Soils 46:393-406.
33. Asghari Bano, Rashida Batool and Frank Dazzo 2010. Adaptation of chickpea to desiccation `stress is enhanced by symbiotic rhizobia. Symbiosis. 50: 129-133.
34.Irum Naz and Asghari Bano. 2010. Biochemical, molecular characterization and growth promoting effects of phosphate solubilizing Pseudomonas sp. isolated from weeds grown in salt range of Pakistan. Plant and Soil. DOI. 10.1007/s11104-010-0372-8
35. Fazal Hadi, Asghari Bano and Michael P. Fuller. 2010. The improved phytoextraction of lead (Pb) and the growth of maize (Zea mays L.): the role of plant growth regulators (GA3 and IAA) and EDTA alone and in combinations. Chemosphere. 80.457-462
1.Bakht J. Dominy P.J.and Bano A. 2009. The role of Abscisic acid and low temperature
in chickpea (Cicer arietinum) cold tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany.
Papers published in National Journal
1. A.Bano, M.Ashraf and K. A. Malik. 1988. Effect of humic acid on root
nodulation and nitrogenase activity of Sesbania aculeata.Pakistan J. Botany,
2 A.Bano & Safdar Raza. 1990.Effect of Plant growth substances on root nodulation and mycorrhizal status under controlled and waterlogged condition.Biologia 36 (1): 39-46, 1990.
3 A.Bano, K.A.Malik and M.Ashraf. 1991. Effect of Polyethylene glycol, sodium
chloride and humic on seedling growth and root nodulation of Sesbania sesban
L(Merril). Biologia 37(1):73-79.
4. A. Bano & Safdar Raza 1995. Responses of L.ens culinans (Medic) to growth regulators under stress conditions. Biologia. 41 (1 & 1) 21-29.
5. Asghari Bano & M. Sanaullah 1996. Effects of Plant Growth regulator on Neurotoxin content in leaves of Lathyrus sativus. Pak. J. Bot. 27 (1): 139-141.
6. Asghari Bano and Mohammad Saleem 1996. Responses of VAM to Rhizobium inoculation and growth regulator application. Pak. J. Phytopathol. B (2): 107-112.
7. Zarin Fatima and Asghari Bano. 1998. Effects of combined treatment of soybean seeds with growth regulators and Rh izobium on oil contents. nitrogen fixation and yield. Pak. J. Bot. 30 (1): 83-86.
8. Saher Ali and Asghari Bano. 1999. The role of growth regulators on nodule Senesence and nitrogen fixation in soybean. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 2(4) 1305-1306.
9. Naveed Anjum, A. Bano and M. Sanaullah 1999. Effects of spermine and abscisic acid on growth and biochemical contents of Vigna mungo L. under high temperature & salt stress. Pak. J. Bio. Sci. 2(4) 1375-1377.
10. Zarin Fatima & Asghari Bano, 1999. The effect of plant growth regulators & temperature shock on IAA oxidase activity of roots and endogenous ABA levels of Leaves. Pak. J. Bio. Sci. 2(4) 1603.
11. Sanaullah M. and A. Bano 1999.Effects of plant growth regulators on the accumulation of neurotoxin (BOAA) and yield of Lathvrus sativus (L.). Bangladesh J. Bot. 28 (2): 139-144.
12. Najma Avub. A. Bano. Shazia Zaheer & M. IJsman 2000. Effect of VAM on drought tolerance and growth of plant in camparison with the effect of growth regulators. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. Pak.J.Biol.Sci.3(6):975-979.
13. Tariq M. Qureshi, M. Yasin Ashraf, Asghari Bano and Faqir Hussain 2000. Physiological responses of Eucalyptus under Saline environment I:isotonic composition in selected salt tolerant and salt sensitive provenances of Eucalyptus camaldulensis. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 3(12): 2112-2113.
14. Ayub Khan,Asghari Bano and Nasrullah Jan Malik 2001. Relationship in various yield traits of exotic groundnut genotypes under moisture stress condition in Swat,Pakistan. Online J.Biol.Sci. 1(1):24-26.
15. Ashfaq H. and A. Bano 2001.Effect of seed soaking and foliar spray of ABA on growth ,yield and fibre quality of cotton.Pakistan J.Biol.Sci. (Supplementary Issue) 1:45-47.
16. Ashfaq H. and A.Bano 2001. Effect of seed soaking and foliar spray of Benzyladenine(BA) on growth,yield and fibre quality of cotton. Pakistan J.Biol.Sci.(supplementary Issue) 1:109-111.
17. Asim,M.,A .Bano,M.Aslam and M Iqbal 2001 Rhizobium inoculated soybean(Glycine max.(L).plants and salt stress.Pakistan J.Biol.Sci.4(4):407-410.
18. Asim,M,,A.Bano,B.Amjad and M.Y.Mujahid 2001.Influence of polyamine and Kinetin on root nodulation and nitrogen fixation efficiency of mung bean under heat shock. Pakistan J.Biol.Sci. 4(5):439-440.
19. Saher Ali and A.Bano 2001. Growth rate and leaf senescence in soybean.
Pakistan J.Biol.Sci 4:412-413.
20. A.Bano and Nadia Aziz 2003. Salt and drought stress in wheat and the role of Abscisic acid.Pak.J.Bot.,35(5):871-883.
21. Saeed Ahmad Asad,Asghari Bano,Md.Farooq,,Md.Aslam and Aftab Afzal.2004 Comparative study of the effects if Biofertilizers on nodulation and yield
characteristics of mung bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L). International J.Agric and
22. Asghari Bano. 2006. Altitudinal variation in Azospirillum species collected from the
rhizosphere and roots of Zea mays (L.) Asian J.Plant Sciences 5(6):1051-1053
22. Ghulam jellani,Sumaira Hussain,Asghari Bano and Hidayatullah 2006. Effect of Growth Regulators on Growth and yield of Tomato cv.Roma Parasitized by orobanche . Sarhad J.Agric.22 (2): 229-232.
23. Abid Majeed and Asghari Bano 2006. Role of growth promoting substances in breaking potato (Solanum tuberosum L). tuber dormancy J.Agric and Social Sci. 2(3)::175-178.
24. A.R.Gurmani,A.Bano and M.Salim 2006.Effect of growth regulators on growth ,yield and ions accumulation of rice(Oryza sativa L.) under salt stress. Pak.J.Bot.38(5):1415-1424.
25. Uzma Farooq and Asghari Bano 2006.Effect of Abscisic acid and chlorocholine chloride on nodulation and biochemical content of Vigna radiate L. under water stress. Pak.J.Bot (38(5):1511-1518.
26.Tatheer S.Naqvi,Asghari Bano and Nisar Ahmed Kanhar 2006 Role of microorganism in accumulation of chromium ion Sunflower(Helianthus annus L.)
Scientific Sindh 13:25-31.
27.Tatheer S.Naqvi,Asghari Bano,Safia Ahmad,Nisar Ahmad,Irfan Ali and Jahangir Asad 2006. Role of Biofertilizers in accumulation of Nickel in Sunflower (Helianthus annus L. and the effect of Nickel accum ulation on endogenous level of hormonesa in Sunflower. Pak.J.Biotechnol.3 (1)-2:25-32 .
28.Afzaal, M.Shafqat Farooq,Md.Akram,Farah Naz,Rubina Arshad and Asghari Bano. 2006..Differences in agronomic and physiological performance of various wheat genotypes growth under saline conditions.Pak.J.Bot.38(5):1745-1750
29.A.R.Gurmani,A.Bano and M. Salim 2007. Effect of abscisic acid and benzyladenine on growth and ion accumulation of wheat under salinity stress. Pak. J.Bot ., 39(1):141-149.
30. T.M.qureshi,M.Y.Ashraf,A.Bano and F.Hussain 2007.Ion Partitioning,.K/Ca and K/Na ratios of Eucalyptus camaldulensis grown under NaCl salinity. Pak.J.Bot.39(7):2565-2574.
31. Afzal, A. and B. Asghari, 2008. Rhizobium and phosphate solubilizing bacteria improve the yield and phosphorus uptake in wheat(Triticum aestivum L.). Int. J. Agri. Biol.10(1): 1560–8530.
32.Erum S. and A. Bano 2008. Variation in phytohormone production in Rhizobium strains at different altitudes of Northern areas of Pakistan. International J. Agric. and Biol. 10:536-540
33. Z. Fatima, M. Aslam and A. Bano 2008.Chickpea nitrogenfixation increases production of subsequent wheat in rainfed system. Pak.J. Bot. 40(1): 369-376.
34. A. Majeed and A. Bano 2008. Quantification of physiological and biochemical changes in rice due to planting modes. Pak.J. Bot. 40(4): 1681-1691.
35.Z.Fatima, A. Bano, R. Sial and M.Aslam 2008. Response of chickpea to plant growth regulators on nitrogen fixation and yield . Pak.J.Bot.,40(5):2005-2013
36.Sahar Ali and Asghari Bano 2008. Leaf and nodule senescence in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) and the role of plant growth regulators. Pak. J. Bot 40(6):2481-2492.
37Sami Ullah Khan, Asghari Banob, Jalal Ud Dina* and Suba Sadiq Tahir 2009.Salicylic Acid Induced Physiological and Biochemical Changes in Wheat Under Drought Stress Conditions Pak. J. Sci. Ind. Res. 2009 52(2) 75-79
38. Noshin ilyas ,Asghari Bano and Sumera Iqbal 2008.Variation in Azospirillum and Rhizobium strains isolated from maize growing from arid and semiarid areas. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, ISSN online:1814-2596
39. Hidayatullah,A.Bano,K.M.Khokhar 2009.Sex expression and level of phytohormone in monoecious cucumber as affected by plant growth regulators. Sarhad J.Agric. 25(2):173-177.
40.Asia Nosheen,Asghari Bano and Faizanullah 2009.Comparative study for the effect of Biofertilizers on soybean oil content and potential for Biodiesel production. Pak. J.Sci. and Industrial Res. 52(5):264-270
41. Asghari Bano, Nadeem Khan and Faizanullah (2009) Nutritive values of Brassica
campestris L. oil as affected by growth regulator treatments. J Chem. Soc. Pak. 31(5):819-822.
42. Sumera Iqbal and Asghari Bano 2010. Effect of drought and abscisic acid application
on the osmotic adjustment of four wheat culrivars. J Chem. Soc. Pak.32(1):13-19.
43. Asghari Bano 2010. Root-to-shoot signal transduction in tice under salt stress
Papers in bold are with impact factor
Book Chapters published: Aftab Afzal and Asghari Bano 2010. Phosphate Solubilizing Microorganisms: Prospects, Promises and Problems. In Phosphate solubilizing microbes for crop imporovement Ed: Sagir khan and Almas Zaidi Nova Sci.Publisher NY. Pp.447.
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN PROCEEDINGS CONFERENCES,
1. A.Bano. Effect of Kinetin on seedling growth and root nodulation of salt-stressed Vigna radiata. paper presented in US-Pakistan Bio-saline Research Workshop held at Karachi University, 1985. Prospects for Biosaline Research, 327-339. Eds. Rafiq Ahmad and Anthony San Pietro. Proceeding of US-Pakistan Biosaline Research Workshop held in Karachi. Sept. 22-26, 1985.
2. A. Bano Role of Vesicular arbuscular Mycorrhiza under hydrophytic condition. In relations to phytohormones. Mycorrhiza Round Table, 1988. Proceedings of a Workshop held in New Delhi, 13-15 March, 1988. PP. 431-443.
3. A.Bano. Possible benefits of Mycorrhiza to plants under water-logging condition. Mycorrhiza Round Table. Proceedings of a workshop held in New Delhi, 1987. PP. 444-447.
4. A. Bano and S. Hayat. Effect of Abscisic acid on the physiological and biochemical contents of Lens culinaris L.under saline conditions. In: Biology of salt tolerant plants Eds. M. Ajmal Khan and Irwin A. Ungar, Michigan, USA. Pp94- 98. 1995.
5. Asghari Bano and Arif Amin.. ABA and water stress. Proceedings of fourth DAAD follow up seminar. M.A. Hafeez and Samina Jalali (eds). Pp. 43-54. 1996
6. Z. Fatima A. Bano and M Aslam. Effect of plant growth regulators and Rhizobium inoculum on N2-fixation and yield of chickpea. K.A. Malik (eds). Nitrogen Fixation with non-legumes~ 103-106. Kluwer Academic publishers Great Britain. 1998.
7. A.Bano and N.Ilyas 2009. Production of bioactive metabolites by Rhizobium and Azospirillum isolated from maize grown in various moisture regimes in the field. Positive plant microbial interactions in relation to plant performance and ecosystem function. ‘International Conference on Positive Plant Microbial Interactions in Relation to Plant Performance and Ecosystem Function’.pp.171
8. A.Bano and I. Naz 2009. Isolation, biochemical characterization and 16S-rRNA sequence analysis of the phytohormone producing Stenotrophomonas maltophilia SSA associated with Solanum surratense and its implication as a bio-inoculant. ‘International Conference on Positive Plant Microbial Interactions in Relation to Plant Performance and Ecosystem Function’ Pp.121
9. A.Bano,m T.Hassan and I.Naz 2010. Physiological Mechanism of Salt Tolerance in Halophytes from Khewra Salt range. International Conference on Soils and Ground Water Salinization in Arid Regions. Pp.130
10. A.Bano, M. Sanaullah and K. Doerffling 2010. Physiological Characterization for Salt Tolerance in Wheat. International Conference on Soils and Ground Water Salinization in Arid Regions.pp.129