Research in “Cancer Genetics Lab” is focused on Genetic, Epigenetic and Expression level studies of genes involved in Breast Cancer, Leukemia and Head & Neck Cancer. Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) in different genes implicated in Breast Cancer and Leukemia are also being investigated in Pakistani population.
1. Khan AHA, Ayaz M, Arshad M, Yousaf S, Khan MA, Anees M, Sultan A, Nawaz I, Iqbal M. Biogeochemical Cycle, Occurrence and Biological Treatments of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs). Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transaction A-Science. June 2019; 43 (A3): 1393-1410
2. Riaz S, Din SM, Tareen MU, Tariq F, Latif Y, Siddiqi S, Sultan A, Mansoor A. Genetic Polymorphism of CYP2C19 in Pakistani Population. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. April 2019; 18(2): 1097-1102.
3. Riaz S, Mansoor A, Siddiqi S, Tareen MU, Rubab S, Batool A, Anwarullah, Sultan A. Association of CYP2C19*2 and *17 genetic variants with hypertension in Pakistani population. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. April 2019; 18 (4): 851-855
4. Akram Z, Ahmed P, Kajigaya S, Satti TM, Satti HS, Chaudhary QUN, Gutierrez-Rodrigues F, Ibanez PF, Feng X, Mahmood SK, Ghafoor T, Shahbaz N, Khan MA, Sultan A. Epidemiological, clinical and genetic characterization of aplastic anemia patients in Pakistan. Annals of Hematology. Feb 2019;98(2):301-312. doi: 10.1007/s00277-018-3542-z.
5. Jan MI, Khan RA, Sultan A, Ullah A, Ishtiaq A, Murtaza I. Analysis of NT-proBNP and uric acid due to left ventricle hypertrophy in the patients of aortic valve disease. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. Jan-Feb 2019;35(1):183-188. doi: 10.12669/pjms.35.1.148
6. Ali T, Mushtaq I, Maryam S, Farhan A, Saba K, Jan MI, Sultan A, Anees M, Duygu B, Hamera S, Tabassum S, Javed Q, da Costa Martins PA, Murtaza I. Interplay of N acetyl cysteine and melatonin in regulating oxidative stress-induced cardiac hypertrophic factors and microRNAs. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2018 Nov 12;661:56-65.
7. Rehan T, Tahira R, Ullah H, Tareen U, Rehan T, Anees M, Murtaza I and Sultan A. In vitro bioactivities and subacute toxicity study of O. basilicum, T. vulgaris and R. officinalis. Turkish Journal of Biochemistry. 2018 Aug. 43 (4): 447-455
8. Jan MI, Khan RA, Malik A, Ali T, Bilal M, Bo L, Sajid A, Urehman N, Waseem N, Nawab J, Ali M, Majeed A, Ahmad H, Aslam S, Hamera S, Sultan A, Aneesa M, Javed Q and Murtaza I. Data of expression status of miR- 29a and its putative target mitochondrial apoptosis regulatory gene DRP1 upon miR-15a and miR-214 inhibition. Data Brief. 2017 Dec. 20(16):1000-1004.
9. Anwarullah, Sultan A, Usmani MA, Ghaffar M, Ali J, Badshah M, Ahmad N. Absence of SNCA polymorphisms in Pakistani Parkinsons disease patients. J Pak Med Assoc. 2017 Oct; 67(10):1512-1516.
10. Jan MI, RA Khan, T Ali, MBilal, L Bo, A Sajid, A Malik, N Urehman, N Waseem, J Nawab, M Ali, A Majeed, H Ahmad, S Aslam, S Hamera, A Sultan, M Anees, Q Javed , I Murtaza. Interplay of mitochondria apoptosis regulatory factors and microRNAs in valvular heart disease. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. Online 6 September 2017.
11. Anwarullah A, Paramasivam N, Abbasi R, Khan K, Sultan A, Schlesner M, von Engelhardt J, Ahmad N, Aslam M. A report of whole-genome sequencing in neurologic Wilson’s disease. Neurology India. 2017 May-Jun;65(3):629-631.
12. Anwarullah A, Aslam M, Badshah M, Abbasi R, Sultan A, Khan K, Ahmad N, Engelhardt JV. Further evidence for the association of CYP2D6*4 gene polymorphism with Parkinson’s disease: a case control study. Genes and Environment. 2017 Jul 1;39:18.
13. Khan, Sundus Tanveer, Shagufta Alia, Mariam Anees, Aneesa Sultan, Mazhar Iqbal, Sohail Yousaf. Role of nutrients in bacterial biosurfactant production and effect of biosurfactant production on petroleum hydrocarbon biodegradation. Ecological Engineering 104 (2017) 158–164
14. Obaid-ur-Rahman Abid, Muhammad Ayaz, Wajid Rehman, Kamran Mehdi, Arif Ali, Abdul Wadood, Fazal Rahim, Aneesa Sultan, Mehreen Ghufran, Sadullah Mir, Muhammad Tauseef Qureshi. Synthesis, Enzyme Inhibition, and Molecular Docking Studies of Hydrazones from Dichlorophenylacetic Acids. Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society. 63 (12):1015-1021. 2016 Dec.
15. Sajid Mansoor, Sana Riaz, Sara Kausar, Sadia Muhammad Din, Aneela Javed, Aneesa Sultan, Atika Mansoor. Can IFNL3 polymorphisms predict response to interferon/ribavirin treatment in hepatitis C patients with genotype 3? Journal of General Virology. 2016 Oct;97(10):2592-2598
16. Muhammad Nawaz, Farah Fatima, Irina Nazarenko, Karin Ekström, Iram Murtaza, Mariam Anees, Aneesa Sultan, Luciano Neder, Giovanni Camussi, Hadi Valadi, Jeremy A. Squire & Thomas Kislinger. Extracellular vesicles in ovarian cancer: applications to tumor biology, immunotherapy and biomarker discovery. Expert Review of Proteomics. 2016;13(4):395-409
17. Afzal M, M Amir, M J Hassan, S Murad, I Murtaza, M Anees and A Sultan. Clinical Role of HER2 gene Amplification and chromosome 17: Study on 154 IHC-Equivocal Cases of Invasive Breast Carcinoma Patients. Tumor Biology. 2016 Jan 6.: 37(7):8665-72.
18. Murad S, A Anwar, ZZ Piracha, A Sultan. LRIG1 expression during homeostasis and skin wound healing in mice. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2015 Oct-Dec;29(4):829-33.
19. Ahmed I, M Sajed, A Sultan, I Murtaza, S Yousaf, B Maqsood, P Vanhara, M Anees. The erratic antibiotic susceptibility patterns of bacterial pathogens causing urinary tract infections. EXCLI Journal. 2015 Aug 4;14:916-25.
20. Summer G, S Murad, N Ehsan, P Bloodsworth, A Sultan and M Faheem. “Transcriptional up-regulation of BMP-4 and BMPR-II genes in the peripheral blood of breast cancer patients: A pilot study.” Cancer Biomarkers. 2015 ;15(5):551-7
21. Anees M, R A Anis, S Yousaf, I Murtaza, A Sultan, M Arslan, M Shahab. Effect of maternal iodine supplementation on thyroid function and birth outcome in goiter endemic areas. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015 Apr;31(4):667-74.
22. Noreen M, S Murad, M Furqan, A Sultan, P Bloodsworth. Knowledge and Awareness about Breast Cancer and its Early Symptoms among Medical and Non-Medical Students of Southern Punjab, Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(3):979-84.
23. Spaderna S, O Schmalhofer, M Wahlbuhl, A Dimmler, K Bauer, A Sultan, F Hlubek, A Jung, D Strand, A Eger, T Kirchner, J Behrens, T Brabletz. The EMT inducer ZEB1 promotes metastasis and a loss of cell polarity in cancer. Cancer Research. 2008 Jan 15;68(2):537-44.
24. Aigner K, B Dampier, L Descovich, M Mikula, A Sultan, M Schreiber, W Mikulits, T Brabletz, D Strand, P Obrist, W Sommergruber, N Schweifer, A Wernitznig, H Beug, R Foisner and A Eger. The transcription factor ZEB1 (δEF1) induces tumour cell dedifferentiation by repressing master regulators of epithelial polarity. Oncogene. 2007 Oct 25;26(49):6979-88.
25. Aigner K, L Descovich, M Mikula, A Sultan, B Dampier, S Bonne, M Schreiber, FV Roy, W Mikulits, T Brabletz, H Beug, R Foisner and A Eger. The transcription factor ZEB1 (δEF1) represses Plakophilin 3 during human cancer progression. 2007. FEBS Letters. 2007 Apr 17;581(8):1617-24.
26. Zafar M, Y Mussaddeq, S Akhter and A Sultan. Weight-length and condition factor relationship of thaila, Catla catla from Rawal dam Islamabad, Pakistan. 2003. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 6(17): 1532-1534.
1. Aneesa Sultan, Muhammad Afzal, Anum Khursheed and Mohammed Amir. 2017. HER2 Gene Amplification & Chromosome 17 aneusomy in IHC Equivocal Cases. EMBL Conference, Cancer Genomics. November 5 - 8 2017. Heidelberg, Germany.
2. Touseef Rehan, Mariam Anees and Aneesa Sultan. 2015. Screening of Rosemarinus officinalis, Thymus vulgaris and Scabiosa candollie for subacute toxicity in male albino Rats of Sprague Daweley strain. 7thChemistry Conference 2015 on “Chemistry in Engineering and Life Sciences”. November 24-26, 2015. PINSTECH.
3. Ali I, A Sultan. 2013. Investigation of ZEB1/Delta‐EF1 Gene Expression in Breast Cancer Tissue of Pakistani Women. International Conference on the Applications of Molecular Biology in Medicine and Agriculture. August 20‐22, 2013. Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.
4. Rehan T, A Sultan, U Malik, A Zahra, M Khan, S A Malik, A A Khan. 2013. Epigenetic Analysis of Embryonic Stem Cells Specific Genes in Blood of Normal and Leukemic Patients. International Conference on the Applications of Molecular Biology in Medicine and Agriculture. August 20‐22, 2013. Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.
5. Sultan A, K. Aigner, L. Descovich, H. Beug, R. Foisner and A. Eger . 2007. The Transcription Factor ZEB1 (δEF1) Promotes Tumor Cell Dedifferentiation by Repressing Master Regulators of Epithelial Polarity. 32nd FEBS Congress, Molecular Machines, July 7-12, 2007 Vienna, Austria.
6. Azeemi N Z and A Sultan. Characterization of Bioinformatics Applications on Multimedia Processor, in Proc. Proceedings Cairo International Biomedical Engineering Conference 2006, Cairo, Egypt, December, 2006.
7. Azeemi N Z, A Sultan and A. Muhammad. Parameterized Characterization of Bioinfomatics Workload on SIMD Architecture, in Proc. 2006 International Conference on Information and Automation, pages 189 - 194, Colombo, Sri Lanka, December, 2006.
8. Sultan A, Fazle-Subhan, F Tahir, M Qayyum, A Khanum and A Dil. 2001. Serum Alpha Feto-Protein(AFP) and Beta Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (ß-hCG) levels as tumor markers. 21st Pakistan Congress of Zoology held at University of Agriculture Faisalabad Pakistan. 15-17. March, 2001.